Sunday 25 August 2019

My Gratitude Journal

Apparently, August 25th is “Kiss and Make-up Day” and so the gratefulness challenge that I started last week ends on a perfect day. Yesterday we had our annual Island End of Summer Celebration, parades and games in the main field. I was feeling a little withdrawn but nudged myself to go. It’s funny how anonymity sets in over the summer, but as the beginning of term comes close fame returns. Over the crowds and excitement, I heard “It’s Mary!” several times and the eager smiling faces of the students at my school rushing to greet me with hugs and stories of their summer adventures. Summer is drawing to a quickened end and before I know it will be the last week in August once more. But for now, I can look back and remind myself to take in the brevity of cherished moments and be grateful for all the wonderful instances each day can hold.


Day 1:
*I am thankful to have the love, support, warmth and kindness of family and such wonderful friends that have been by my side over the years.
*I am ever so grateful to new friends that have come into my life have helped me through some of my hardest moments.
*I am truly grateful for the generosity of spirit of so many people that surround me.


Day 2:
*I am thankful for the grey days that shade me from the hot sun.
*I am thankful for the rain that cools the day and quenches the earth’s thirst.
*I am thankful for having shelter from the storm and the choice to stay inside or to go out and dance in it!


Day 3:
*I am grateful to be in reasonably good health and have a relatively strong body.
*I am grateful for the ability to learn from my mistakes, to improve on my shortcomings and to build on my weaknesses.
*I am thankful for all the little things… To stop and take a moment to smell the flowers, to watch a bee or bird take nectar from a bloom, to feel the cool breeze, the hot sun, the rain, the snow…
*I am grateful for forgiveness, to be able to forgive or be forgiven, for an open heart, mind and soul.


Day 4:
*I am ever so grateful for the kindness of “relative” strangers in my life that have renewed my beliefs in the good that surrounds us all.
*I am thankful for memories, shared and private, to be able to look back and relive the moments of my life, good and bad, and to learn anew from each experience.
*I am very thankful for all the lovely moments I can look forward to, the adventures I have yet to take and that I have the privilege to explore.
*I am truly thankful for those that read my writing; all those that enjoy my stories, articles, books, blog posts, etc. And I am grateful for the reciprocal inspiration that they have provided me along my path.


Day 5:
*I am thankful that I have had many hardships in my life. They have strengthened me, connected me with many wonderful souls and served as a brilliant contrast enabling me to appreciate all the wonder, kindness and love in my life.
*I grateful for learning from my daily struggles and overcoming past troubles, for the paths chosen that have led me to the experiences of today.
*I am grateful for hugs that warm you from within, smiles that touch your heart and a goodnight kiss that calms one’s soul.
*I am thankful for tears to express what no words can, pain that makes you re-evaluate yourself, loss that reminds you that every moment is precious.
*I am thankful for love, to give love, to feel love, to have and to have been loved.





Popular Posts