Friday 21 June 2019

You've Been Gone Too Long

Rodeo Beach


There is something about waking up in a new place that gets the ideas flowing like nothing else for me! Walking the streets of my stories gives a new insight into the consciousness of the characters I can only get from experiencing the world through their eyes. I won’t get away too often this summer and somehow just south of my island home doesn’t feel like a true escape. I have written a few stories set under the California sun. The painted ladies of the Mission District and the beach-side ocean breeze are like a marriage between the culture I miss from growing up in the east and the west coast island life I now lead. It’s all too familiar to feel like I am not already home.





Love on Haight
I have a few projects I want to redevelop over the summer, and one is my first true fiction short story I wrote this past April; which I suppose would fall under the genre of a romantic thriller. My writing group suggested that I make my story about three sisters (YBGTL) into a novel, and there is a lot of room to expand the narrative. In that regard, it’s nice to revisit the spaces where I set some of my scenes to get the ideas flowing. But, we’ll see. Embodiment enhances my process, and to put myself in the shoes of my character and meander through the sultry streets while taking in the sights, sounds and smells can sometimes translate into words more fluidly than when I only rely on my imagination… 

Another long-awaited project is the humane education creative non-fiction adventure series I started a few years ago. The umwelten of other species is a whole other level of embodiment I have been aching to dive back into. But, there are a few “people” stories I would like to polish up first, and then I’ll see where my inspiration takes me.  


So, on that note, off I go to wander.
Language of Birds

Popular Posts